May 7, 2010

GETTING AROUND TO IT AT LAST

Bolsover Castle


A while ago I decided that one day I would start a blog about Derbyshire. Today is the day.



The hills above Castleton in winter.


I was born and bred in a small Derbyshire village. As a teenager I thought life in my village was really boring and longed to move away. So I spent most of my twenties in Yorkshire, firstly in the city then in the countryside where I felt more comfortable. But not completely at home.



Ashover village.

After eight years away, I moved back to Derbyshire and I wondered why I had ever wanted to leave. Yorkshire is beautiful too, but for myself I much preferred the softness of the Derbyshire hills to the drama of the Yorkshire countryside and the grim greyness of its towns.




Near Milltown in the parish of Ashover.
.

So here I am with another excuse not to finish the ironing and to get out and about with my camera. I hope you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Martine - welcome and a big thank you for being my first follower - it didn't take you long to find the blog !!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the best bit of the blog for me - please leave one.